Courage in a Cup

My best friend pointed out to me yesterday that I am not living; I'm constantly preparing.  I'm on high alert status, ever watchful for the next attack by the Jabberwocky.  I explained that my mindfulness of the danger is my way of being prepared.  If I can critically analyze his actions and words, I can estimate where and when the next attack will occur.  But as my friend pointed out, that is not living.  That is fearing.  I am fearful of what he might do, of what he can do.  I'm not fearful of what he did.  That damage is done and the repercussions long to overcome. 

Recently, in a daily email I receive, was this quote by Sir Richard Bowlby, "There are two types of fear: the absence of safety and the presence of danger."  During my marriage, I experienced both types of fear as I lived in the absence of safety and in the constant presence of danger.  The only safety could be found during deployments and TDYs.  I grew accustomed to life in a hypervigilant, Code Red status, ever fearful and aware that an attack was imminent.   

The worst occured when your guard was dropped, even for a moment.  He was quick to sense and strike at those moments of weakness.  Those were the only times that could be predicted and those were the times that were least expected.  Better to be alert, than to be caught unawares.  Now that I am separated and protected by the courts from his presence, I find myself  in a state of near-panic, waiting for the next assault.  He is coming at me through the court systems.  His most recent physical assault failed resulting in less than desirable repercussions for him.  He strikes out at me legally, by proxy, through his lawyer.  He wants custody, he wants me to take on more debt, he wants, he wants....He Wants....HE WANTS!  But that was a common refrain from our marriage, one to which I should be immune. 

This week, rather than "reading the tea leaves", trying to devine some sort of guesstimate to where his next attack will form, I'm going to focus on actual fear, fear in the presence of real, imminent danger.  Shark attacks, lightening strikes, 'gator bites, airplane collisions, while all real and dangerous threats, they are not a threat to me at this time.  Just like the Jabberwocky.  I am relegating him to the shark bite/mountain lion group.  While scary to contemplate, not a real threat at the moment.

To remind myself, I've ordered the Six Impossible Things coffee mug.  I don't know how many of you read with me, but if you do and happen to order it too, when you have your morning coffee, think of your six impossible things:

1.  Real men don't hit women.
2.  Children don't need both parents, especially if one is violent.
3.  Mommies can survive financially on their own.
4.  There are people who want me to succeed.
5.  I have worth.
6.  I can slay the Jabberwocky.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Betty, I found my way to your blog from Heal My PTSD and I've now read each and every one of your posts.

    That I can actually read all of your posts is something of a triumph and it says a lot about my own recovery from PTSD. Then, I only had one night of physical abuse to contend with, but that was enough to destroy my life for almost five years. I am better now though - much better actually.

    And I want to say this to you, from one survivor to another - you are brave and strong. And you are doing the right thing in taking all these steps.

    Living without your Jabberwocky's financial support might seem tough at first, but good god, if you can completely separate your life from his then it will be worth it.

    I hear you on the PTSD, I really do. And I completely understand your frozen rabbit moments and any other reaction you might have in the face of your husband's extreme violence. You're doing what you have to do in order to try and survive.

    Eventually the time will come for healing. But that time is not now - you're right to be on alert. It might be stressful, but until you've managed to free yourself from that Beast of a man, you need to be safe first and foremost.

    I'm so sorry for everything he's put you through, put your kids through and even your friend, damnit!

    The Beast/Jabberwocky/soon-to-be-ex-husband of yours has a long way to go in his life. But hopefully soon it will no longer be your concern.

    I send you my very best wishes and support - please stay safe and take care. I'll be right here, reading your posts and sending you love from Australia. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Svasti,

    One night, one hundred. It doesn't really matter, does it? The damage is real and is done. What has always angered me is the shattered bits of our lives that we're left to clean up while they walk away complete. I'm am so sorry. Thank you for the link. I'm going to go check it out.

    ReplyDelete

Be Nice! Remember you haven't walked a mile in my flip flops.