The Best Advice I Didn't Take

*Update*  Fuck the co-dependant shit.  He was a diagnosed psychopath and narcissistic personality disordered monster.  I wasn't co-dependent; I was a hostage.

I research a thing to death.  If I can define it, I can control it or so I like to believe.  For many years, I wouldn't give a name to the events occurring within my marriage.  I would not call it "abuse" or "domestic violence" or "assault".  To do so would open up the possibility that I was a victim in the situation, a condition I could not bear to acknowledge.  Being afraid to give a name to what was happening prevented me from finding my voice and finding a "cure".  Even worse, failing to acknowledge the hideous damage done to me prevented me from seeing that the friend I leaned on for comfort and support would eventually reveal himself to be more of the same.  How does the children's song go, "Second verse, same as the first, a little bit louder and a little bit worse"? 

I allowed my issues, the co-dependency and the absolutely crippling lack of self-esteem blind me into believing I could not leave my dangerous marriage by myself, could not take care of myself.  Raised in an extremely patriarchal culture, I believed if I was simply a good enough wife and good enough mother, I was good enough and my husband would take care of me.  Well, if by take care of you mean rape and batter, then I was definitely well taken care of. 

I've attached a link, an eHow guide to rebuilding your life after domestic violence.  The instructions seem deceptively simple.  Do not disregard.  They are true and work if followed.  Today, I will reapply the instructions and get back on the path to recovery.  http://www.ehow.com/how_2310911_build-life-after-experiencing-domestic.html

Today, I will tell myself:

  • I am proud of all I have accomplished.
  • I am my own best friend.
  • I love and forgive myself for all past mistakes.
  • I recognize my many strengths and acknowledge the existence of ones I've yet to discover.
Today, you will, too. 


"I am so buying this mug."  --Betty aka Wonder Woman

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be Nice! Remember you haven't walked a mile in my flip flops.