Beautifully Broken

She's so beautifully broken

Shaped by the wind

Dangerously twisted

Here I go again


Lyrics courtesy of Gov't Mule
Taking a cue from the Brit Brits and Xtinas, even an Ashlee was in on the act, "I'm beautifully broken and I don't mind if you know it.  I'm beautifully broken and I don't care if I show it," those of us so "beautifully broken" use the phrase to describe the horror we have seen and have survived.  Google the term and 735,000 results appear, but Google the definition and you'll find only 58,000 results.  Know why?  The term is simply a euphamism for a hideously mangled, emotionally disfigured, tortured soul.  Beautifully broken?  Fuck no!  What you are is quite simply - Fucked Up.  FUBAR, my dear, in the truest, purest sense. 

As with all things, there is a time and a place for it.  In the beginning, you may need to consider yourself beautifully broken, a fragile spirit, an angel with clipped wings.  Do it.  Love yourself.  Protect yourself.  But at some point, the victim needs to shed her broken, old self and rebuild.  Maybe he did break you.  But never, ever forget you are still alive and where there is life there is hope.  Shed the damaged, broken image.  Replace it with a tangible one.  Think of your grandmother's china, mine had that ruby red, Depression Era glass she would use to serve the grandkids Jell-O.  Find a tangible, breakable image of an item of worth to you and consider all you would do to repair it if it were broken.  Then find your emotional Super Glue.  If Grandma's china or Depression Era glass is worth gluing back together then isn't Grandma's granddaughter worthy of the same treatment?  Sure, there will be visible cracks and maybe even a few pieces missing, but how precious is that china after being lovingly restored? 

You OWE it to yourself to stop the "beautifully broken" thinking today (if you're ready, Ladies) and replace it with your own personal vision of a strong self.  If you cannot envision yourself stronger, borrow the image.  I'll share mine, but of course, those of you who know me, already know my strong, powerful mentor is the awesome Ms. WW, Princess Diana, the Amazing Wonder Woman herself.  Hell, pick Margaret Thatcher if that does it for you or even Michelle Obama, but I'd lean more towards Hilary even though her name is kinda weak.  She does exude awesomeness and does have a shitty husband, all the more for us to relate.  Pick your persona and imitate, imitate, imitate until it becomes innate for you. 

Here's a poem to get you started taken from The Experience Project:


I Am a Strong Woman and I Will Not Apologize For It

A truly strong woman is a force that is so very dynamic.

A woman whose strength comes natural and is somewhat majestic.

It is an innate inclination, impulse and drive.

She loves and accepts herself completely, knows shes not perfect,yet and still she strives,

Strong women need strong men, strong men feel strong women is what they're made for.

It seems fitting to see word of mouth reveal that muscle in true form weighs so much more.

Some men need a woman weaker than they.
So they can partake in a staged 'save the day'

There is no courage no strength and no valor in that.

If you ask me, I say that ***** pretty wack.

A real woman needs a real man to stand up and say

"I'm attracted to your strength, it's a challenge to me

A chance for me to show you and I both how strong I can be."

A man's strength is not defined by his ability to control.

Nor his ability to dictate, write, or moderate a show.
If youre looking for the definition of a strong man go back a few lines.

An individual's strength is defined the same way across gender lines.

For one to be strong enough to hold another.

Support must be given, much more than a lover.

Its constant giving of your self but by giving, receiving

And the security from knowledge that neither is leaving

Because both forces are required for each individuals breathing

Therefore neither would cause the other's heart grieving.

I am a strong woman and I will not apologize for it.

Some men gain superficial strength and revel in a womans pain

Like a childhood bully playing elementary school games.

He gains false esteem from a woman who is stregnthless

As if her inability to move were an indication of his greatness.

I am a strong woman and I will not apologize for it.

I know admission to my heart and emotions is a prize.

A man must treasure it while he has it because he'll lose it with lies.

A strong woman can bear all the strife in the world,

But will only choose to do so for a man who'd never imply she could would or should.

I am a strong woman and I will not apologize for it.

A strong woman is no more in control of how she feels than anyone else;

She's merely choosy, for she knows completely the full value of her self.

She is not foolish, nor unintelligent, unreasonable, short-sighted or vain.

She recognizes clear fault lines, indicating inability to bear substantial strain.

If giving of herself, her emotions and heart proves to be painful more often than not

And all that she is, is more than he can hold compounded with lack of appreciation for the all that he's got

Then here lies the choice to cross a line that divides many women

You see, some women would simply stay and keep right on giving.

Some might even confuse their choice to endure sustained pain

With strength, courage or love, but that's really a shame.

Because its the woman who has love of self paired with strength and courage deep in her being

That is able to stand and walk away so securely, its almost as if Gods given her a higher level of seeing.

She is able to see for her self, that she must pull it all right back in;

Her heart, love, emotions, yes all that she has given.

I am a strong woman and I will not apologize for it.

The strong woman is not bitter, not angry or scorned.

She mearly yields to her wisdom as if shes been warned.

She does not blame anyone and is grateful for the love that she shared.

She is comfortable on her own, she need not be paired.

She knows that what she wants, needs, desires and deserves

Exists somewhere, and until it finds her she'll take what life serves.

I am a strong woman and I will not apologize for it.


This poem is found here:
http://www.experienceproject.com/stories/Wrote-A-Poem/463277

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be Nice! Remember you haven't walked a mile in my flip flops.